Urine stains no more: Learn how to clean foam dog bed in just a few steps!
Cleaning urine from a foam dog bed can be a bit of a challenge, but here are some steps you can follow:
- Remove any solid waste from the bed using paper towels or a plastic scraper.
- Blot up as much of the urine as possible using paper towels or a clean cloth. Press down firmly on the area to absorb as much moisture as possible.
- Mix a solution of one part white vinegar and one part water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution onto the urine stain and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Blot the area again with paper towels or a clean cloth to absorb the vinegar solution and any remaining moisture.
- If the urine stain and odour persist, you can sprinkle baking soda over the affected area and let it sit for several hours or overnight. Then vacuum up the baking soda with a handheld vacuum or attachment.
- To finish, let the foam dog bed air dry completely in a well-ventilated area, preferably outdoors in the sunlight. Avoid using a dryer or a hair dryer as heat can damage the foam material.
Repeat the process if necessary until the urine stain and odour are completely gone. It’s also a good idea to use a waterproof mattress protector or a dog bed cover in the future to prevent any accidents from soaking into the foam.
Can you wash foam in a washing machine?
It is generally not recommended to wash foam in a washing machine as it can damage the foam material and cause it to lose its shape and support. The agitation of the washing machine can also cause the foam to break apart and become lumpy.
However, some foam products, such as foam pillows or foam cushions, may have removable covers that can be machine washed according to the care instructions. If the foam dog bed has a removable cover that is machine washable, you can wash and dry the cover separately, but be sure to remove any solid waste or excess moisture from the foam bed before putting the cover back on.
If the foam dog bed itself is heavily soiled, you may want to consider spot cleaning it with a mild detergent and water, and then letting it air dry completely in a well-ventilated area. Alternatively, you can hire a professional upholstery cleaner who has experience with cleaning foam products.
Can you put a foam dog bed in the dryer?
It is not recommended to put a foam dog bed in the dryer as the heat can damage the foam material and cause it to lose its shape and support. Additionally, the high temperature in the dryer can cause any remaining urine or odour to set in, making it even more difficult to remove.
Instead, it is best to let the foam dog bed air dry completely in a well-ventilated area, preferably outdoors in the sunlight. To speed up the drying process, you can use a fan or a dehumidifier to circulate air and reduce moisture.
If the foam dog bed has a removable cover that is machine washable, you can wash and dry the cover separately according to the care instructions. However, be sure to remove any solid waste or excess moisture from the foam bed before putting the cover back on.