How often should you wash pet bedding and blankets?
It’s recommended to wash pet bedding and blankets every 1-2 weeks, or as often as needed based on the amount of dirt, odour, and pet hair build-up. Some pet owners may need to wash them more frequently, while others may only need to wash them once a month. Factors such as the type of pet, the size of the bedding, and the frequency of use can impact how often they need to be washed.
When cleaning a pet bed, it is best to use a mild detergent that is free of harsh chemicals and fragrances. A pet-safe, unscented laundry detergent or baking soda mixed with water can effectively remove dirt and odours. Avoid using bleach or fabric softeners, as these can be toxic or irritate a pet’s skin.
The frequency with which you should wash your pet’s bedding and blankets depends on various factors, such as the type of pet, the pet’s shedding habits, and whether the pet spends a lot of time outdoors. However, as a general rule of thumb, it is a good idea to wash pet bedding and blankets at least once a week, or more often if they become visibly soiled or have a strong odor.
For pets with skin allergies, it is recommended to wash their bedding and blankets more frequently, such as every few days, to help reduce exposure to potential allergens.
In addition to washing the bedding and blankets, it is also important to vacuum pet areas regularly to remove any loose hair and debris that may have accumulated. This will help keep the bedding and blankets clean for longer and reduce the risk of allergic reactions and other health issues for your pets.
Tips for washing pet bedding
- Check the washing instructions: Before washing your dog’s bedding, check the washing instructions. Some bedding may require specific washing instructions or need to be washed by hand.
- Shake out loose hair and debris: Before placing the bedding in the washing machine, shake out any loose hair, dirt, or debris. This will help prevent clogging in your washing machine and ensure that the bedding is thoroughly cleaned.
- Use the right detergent: Use a mild detergent that is safe for your dog’s skin. Avoid using fabric softeners or bleach, as they can irritate your dog’s skin.
- Wash in hot water: Wash the bedding in hot water to kill any bacteria or germs that may be present. Use the highest temperature setting that is safe for the bedding material.
- Dry thoroughly: After washing, make sure to dry the bedding thoroughly. Use a high heat setting in the dryer or hang the bedding outside to dry. Avoid using dryer sheets, as they can irritate your dog’s skin.
- Clean the washing machine: After washing your dog’s bedding, clean your washing machine to prevent any remaining hair or dirt from clogging the machine. You can run an empty cycle with hot water and vinegar to clean the machine.
- Wash bedding regularly: It is important to wash your dog’s bedding regularly to keep it clean and free of bacteria and germs. Aim to wash it at least once a week or more frequently if it gets dirty or smells bad.
Best way to dry pet bedding